Sunday 29 December 2013

First Day with the D600

The Falls by Mawz
The Falls, a photo by Mawz on Flickr.

D600, 24-50 f3.3-4.5 AF

Went out with a few folks I know from the TPMG for an unofficial photo excursion in northern Durham Region, along Sideroad 4 up to Uxbridge. I'd never been up that way and we were looking for the afteraffects of the ice storm a week ago, which we did find some of.

This is a small set of waterfalls on East Duffins creek right above an old millpond. Shot with the ancient ZOOM-Nikkor 24-50 f3.3-4.5 AF at 24mm and f4.8. It does surprisingly well on the D600, although the corners are weak. Shadows are lifted about 2 stops to bring some life into the scene, which worked very well. There's definitely more maleability in the D600's files than the D7100 or especially the E-M5.

I found I took to shooting with the D600 almost immediately. Only control-based issue I had was actually the fault of my Sigma macro, as I bumped it into MF mode by accident and had a brief scare when it wouldn't AF. Manual focus is OK, but I was relying a lot on the AF confirm for more distant subjects, especially with the 35/2.8 which just has tons of DoF when I'm not close in.

All in all, I'm looking forward to more shooting with the D600, and trying out some more exotic glass on it, especially an ultra-fast 50. I did try the 28/1.8G briefly and really liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment