Tuesday 14 July 2020

Grab The Classics Now, Before They're Gone


Swamp and Sky
D750, Nikkor 20mm f2.8

I was talking to one of the owners of my local camera store the other day, and he remarked that he'd stopped buying used X-T1's.

That reminded me that some of the best classic digital cameras for the user on a budget are getting thin on the used market as their value has gotten low enough that stores can't make money re-selling them and users will just keep them as they're no longer worth the hassle of selling. 

The D200 and D300 are largely in this situation right now, and the D7000 and X-T1 are getting there as well. Even some FF bodies, notably the D700 and 5D classic are there, and I expect the original A7 to be approaching it. 

That doesn't mean these bodies are unworthy of acquisition, just means they're going to be harder to find. Personally I'd still rather like to own another D200 and D700, just for fun, I'd also be interested in the original D2X if I ever found one cheap enough. I'd also like to have a full set of lenses again for my D300, specifically the Sigma 10-20, 16-85VR, 70-300VR and 35DX setup I used to have. That's a good and inexpensive do-everything setup for DX (I still have the 16-85VR hanging around) that I'll look to build around as I run across deals. I may not shoot much with the D300 anymore, but that doesn't mean it's not still a very capable camera. That kit would actually support pretty much any DX body quite well (although I'd replace the 70-300VR with the AF-P DX on more modern bodies that support it, it's cheaper & better). 

These classic bodies are cheap and still very viable for folks shooting for web and print up to 16x20 or so. While newer bodies deliver better IQ for sure, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the IQ from these classics. Many of them are also surprisingly capable as cameras overall, although some, like the D200 and the 5D Classic, do have limitations like low max ISO or no auto ISO, that make them more of a fun camera that a serious primary.

We're living in a golden age of cheap cameras right now, and glass isn't too bad. The transition to mirrorless also leaves a lot of interesting kit on the market cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment