Friday 12 February 2021

One Body Leaves, One Body Enters. Sort-Of

 


Olympus E-M1, m.Zuiko 12-50mm f3.5-6.3 EZ

So my D300 has pretty much shuffled off its mortal coil. Control dial failure on the front control dial is the cause. This is the body I've owned the longest of any digital body, at about 4 years ownership at this point. Not bad at all. I only shot about 1500 shots with this body, as it was my backup Nikon body for most of that time. With D300's in general I've shot almost 20,000 frames over 3 bodies. 

I traded in 3 lenses Wednesday, the Fuji XF 55-200 and XC 16-50 along with my Nikkor 20/2.8 AF to get an E-M1 mk II. Sadly, this body is going back due to failure, it has major lockup issues. I will be coming home with another one though, as I was impressed with what I got when the body wasn't locking up. Acceptably sharp shots at 1s handheld and 105mm actual focal length (210mm FF equivalent) is outstanding. The IQ in quick tests was significantly better at higher ISO's than the 16MP E-M1 & E-M5II. Only real issues I had was I couldn't figure out how to set the Fn level to select AF/MF and focus peaking required a button press and couldn't be tied to MF mode. 

EVF is not on par with the X-T1/2, but better than the A7II and closer to the Fuji's than the Sony. Grip ergonomics are excellent as is button layout. I don't like the on/off location but can live with it. Battery is much larger, but suffers from the fact it can be inserted backwards, although it won't seat. That's something I dislike on every body without shape-keyed batteries (Fuji's equally guilty, the NP-126 has the same issue)

The menu is the usual messy and overly complex Olympus menu system with excessive iconography. I still don't know the difference between one fish and three fish, or what functionality that setting relates to. But unless you use all sorts of oddball functions regularly, once setup you really don't have to menu-dive for much more than card formatting. 

I've arranged a body exchange for tomorrow, so I should be up and running one that's done. 

I've still got my Fuji bodies, and all my primes for them. We'll see how things play out long term, but I see the Fuji's getting used with manual lenses in the city and the Oly gear being my hiking & backcountry setup with occasional crossovers to stretch things out. 

Postscript: One Fish/Three Fish is apparently a function that when assigned to a button toggles powerzoom lenses between the widest and longest zoom positions, it's for underwater housing use where you can't easily control the zoom. Totally makes sense in context, but as usual for Oly, there's absolutely no context in the menu system for their iconography. At least there are no Invalid Operation buttons.

No comments:

Post a Comment