Friday, 9 October 2026

Thoughts on Volume


D7500, AF-S Nikkor 10-20mm VR G DX

 

I tend to track my annual shooting volume, and set (and recently fail to achieve) goals based on said volume.

It's not because Volume matters in any real regard, but rather that it's a proxy for two things, the first and most important is simply 'Am I making images', the second is a general attempt to increase volume by camera body as part of my ongoing attempts to quit Chasing the Dragon with regards to gear. Note in 2021 I switched my tracking to focus on per-body goals.



Since I started tracking volume, this is how much I've shot:
  • 2012 - 10233 images
  • 2013 - 7220 images
  • 2014 - 5224 images
  • 2015 - 1789 images
  • 2016 - 1640 images
  • 2017 - 2653 images
  • 2018 - 5491 images
  • 2019 - 11526 images
  • 2020 - 12053 images
  • 2021 - >10000 images
  • 2022 - 4093 images
  • 2023 - >8100 images
  • 2024 - 3827 images
  • 2025 - <5,000 images

These days I am focusing more on body longevity and images per body, just in an attempt to actually use bodies more and buy bodies less. I spend WAY too much time changing systems/bodies and I need to quit and focus on what actually matters. That also drives shooting volume, the main reason why my current bodies all have low shot counts is just an overall lack of shooting, the bodies themselves have been in the bag for reasonable amounts of time (including over 18 months for the Z7).




No comments:

Post a Comment