Tuesday 10 April 2018

Mini Review - Nikkor 35mm f1.8 G DX AF-S

Posing While Waiting 
D200, 35mm f1.8 G DX AF-S

The Nikkor 35mm f1.8 DX is one of my go-to DX lenses, along with the Sigma 10-20. If I'm shooting DX, I will have one of these in my bag guaranteed. I've owned 3 of them so far. One with my D7100 (the only DX kit where I didn't end up with the 10-20), one with the D200/D3200 and then acquired one when I bought my D90 2 years ago that's still in my bag. The only reason I never had one with my original DX kits (the D50 and original D300/D40 kit) is it didn't exist yet.

It's cheap. It's sharp. It's remarkably small for an AF-S prime. It just about covers FX. This is the nifty fifty for the DX crew, and it's frankly better than any of the Nikkor 50/1.8's except maybe the old AI (which still is my favourite of those). Flare control is excellent, AF is the same pretty OK AF of all the f1.8 AF-S Nikkor primes. Handling is OK, build is adequate, focus ring is meh, but what do you expect for a lens I've never paid more than $200 for.

If you shoot DX, buy one. Even if you have a better option, stick it in the bag, or on a D3x00 body as a light walkaround option. You won't regret it.



No comments:

Post a Comment