Monday 15 June 2020

Thoughts on Hiking and Gear


Mossy Stump
D750, Nikkor 105mm f2.5 AI-S

Yesterday marked the third major hiking outing of the year, and the first one after I acquired a proper usable backpack and finally ditched the sling packs.

Yesterday was a 9.5KM hike (out of a total of 15.5KM walked in total yesterday, for just under 20k steps). That was a bit of a change vs previous multiple shorter hikes, where I'd gone 4-5km at 2-3 different sites. 

The key enablers and limiters here were water and the pack itself. With the backpack I can carry up to 4 bottles of water along with my gear. I was carrying 2 bottles yesterday and as it was an out & back, I turned back when the first bottle was empty. That was a good choice as I turned out to be at my limit for steady hiking when I got back to the car.

As to the pack, it was significantly better for carrying gear into the bush. There was one issue, strap slide, which means I need to get a chest strap to prevent the shoulder straps from sliding out. That proved to be somewhat irritating later on the hike as the straps rubbed on my underarms as a result. 

One other takeaway is that I carried way too much gear. I had the D750, Platypod Ultra with head, Manfrotto 293M4 with head, Laowa 15mm f4 Macro, Nikkor 20mm f2.8 AF, Nikkor-H 28mm f3.5, Nikkor 35mm f2 AI, Yongnuo 50mm f1.8, Nikkor 105mm f2.5 AI-S, Nikkor 70-300 f4-5.6 ED AF-D, a set of extension tubes, the basic accessories (adjustable ND, polarizer, remote, lens cloth, etc), 2 water bottles and a couple Cliff bars.

That's simply too much gear for what I was doing. I didn't even use the 35, 105 or extension tubes and mostly shot with the 70-300D and 20 (in that order). The reality is that I could have ditched the 105, tubes and 2 of the 28, 35 and 50 could have been left at home, really I could have gotten away with just having the 35. Probably also could have left the tripod and carried only the Platypod, but that's so situational that I really do need both.

No comments:

Post a Comment