Tuesday 19 January 2021

Yes, I'm Still a Sucker for Nikon

 
Nikon D750, Laowa 15mm f4 Macro


I've got to admit that even though all the sane arguments for a FF system point me at Sony, I'd honestly still rather have a Z setup, all other things being equal.

That's not a knock on Sony. They make great stuff and have the only really complete system, especially for the FF shooter on a budget. And my partner shoots Sony these days (A7II).

But I like the Nikon files better. I like the Nikon ergonomics better. I quite frankly like the Nikon design philosophy in general better. And almost all the glass I have to adapt is Nikon mount anyways. If I got a Z body, I'd be good with just an FTZ and a M adapter (M42 or C/Y would be the third one I'd want).

Like Fuji, Nikon's bodies just work for me.

Now, what would a Z setup look like for me?

That's easy. Z body, either the 24-50 or 24-70 kit lenses, FTZ adapter. Laowa 15/4 and Nikkor 70-300E in F mount. Essentially buy the kit, add the 70-300E and I'm good, I already own the Laowa 15. Then dabble in the increasing selection of cheap manual focus lenses in Z mount, plus F mount manual lenses to round things out. Maybe at some point add the 14-30/4 and a native fast 35 or 50.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment